Wednesday, July 17, 2024

One of 8.1 Billion

Posted 3:30 AM by Gerald So

As hopeful as I am that Donald Trump loses the 2024 presidential election, I've been pondering what to do if he wins.

I'm pretty sure my voice as an Asian American will be less heard. My differences won't be respected or valued. The majority will expect me to get in line. It will be a bad time if an authoritarian president is elected, and who knows how long it will last? An authoritarian wouldn't cede power and would only need a few key people to go along to retain power unjustly.

I can't do much to prevent it. I only have one vote in the race.

My relative insignificance oddly gives me hope. I'm not going to feel as if I'm losing my seat at the table the older I get, as many older people grow wistful for a time they felt they had more say in society, as they become set in their ways, ultimately becoming unable to do anything differently. I will instead grow more understanding and accepting of people and ideas.

It may not matter that I do this alone, but it will be my mandate if prejudice prevails around the world.

No comments: