Thursday, August 01, 2024

BATMAN: CAPED CRUSADER

Posted 9:30 AM by Gerald So

As a fan of BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES, I followed word of this new show from the beginning. Originally in development for HBO Max, it promised to be even grittier than its inspiration. At first I thought it would be new adventures of Batman as portrayed by Kevin Conroy. When Warner Bros. merged with Discovery and Conroy died from cancer, I wasn't sure the show would land elsewhere, but I'm glad it did.

With its more defined 1930s–40s period, BATMAN: CAPED CRUSADER mirrors the film noir of the time. Almost every major character leads a double life. While the show isn't serialized and each episode showcases a different rogue, there is character development in the course of the season.

Some of the characters have been gender-, ethnicity-, or attitude-swapped from their original portrayals. Some of this plays to good effect; some of it seems shallow. The show may stand out most because characters die, I think to demonstrate they can die. In some cases I felt they should've had more time, but I was supposed to feel that.


Embed from Getty Images

No comments: