Monday, March 29, 2004

Shorts Too Short?

On one of my mailing lists, someone (preserving the person's anonymity) claimed not to read short stories "because they're too short." Everyone has opinions, and though I had the urge to ask, "What do you mean?" I could tell the person's mind was made up, and to ask would open a can of worms.

Short story writers have traditionally received less notice than novelists. I admit part of me won't think I've "made it" until I write a novel, but I value short stories for their economy, for the challenge of delivering character, location, and premise in limited space. I've heard that it takes more skill to write a short story than it does a novel. I wouldn't go that far, but why wouldn't readers want to treat themselves to a bracing workout of the story elements mentioned above?

Shorts can remind us why we read (and write) fiction in the first place.

No comments: