Monday, October 05, 2009

If You Want to Know About My Wife...

I'm not blogging from Vegas, having eloped last night. I'm thirty-five today and thinking about times life hasn't gone according to plan. Being rejected from my older brother's high school remains sharpest to me. I thought we would follow in the tradition of many families. Instead, I had to make my own name at a new school. (Part of me wanted to do this anyway.)

The experience taught me to be open-minded about my future. As planned as writing has to be, part of it should always be left to chance. We'll see when we get there, or things haven't gone the way I thought they would; what now?

I can't imagine myself married or with kids in much detail. In a way, I'm glad. If I'm lucky enough to meet someone, I don't want to know how it goes.

7 comments:

Jon The Crime Spree Guy said...

Gerald,

Love comes out of nowhere in unexpected places.

I met Ruth ten years ago tomorrow at Bouchercon. Planned on a weekend filled with authors and met someone who changed my life.
And it happened when I was 36. Be patient.

Gerald So said...

Thanks, Jon.

Hobster said...

Happy Birthday, Gerald. Sounds like a smart approach to life (and writing).

What's that old proverb? Man plans and God laughs...

mybillcrider said...

Happy b-day, Gerald!

Bryon Quertermous said...

Happy Birthday. I still have trouble believing I'm married with kids. It really does sneak up on you.

John D said...

Happy birthday, Gerald.

I know how you feel. My life hasn't always worked out as I had envisioned it when I was younger. But it has worked out. I guess the key is to have a positive attitude, and you seem to have that base well covered :)

Gerald So said...

Thanks, everyone. A quiet day, just what I wanted.