Friday, January 25, 2019

Examining Expletives

© by Gerald So | 7:00 AM

Even among fans of crime fiction, where the most terrible things happen to innocent characters, some still object to profanity in the prose. Earlier this week on SleuthSayers, Barb Goffman analyzed how often she uses expletives in her fiction and asked readers if she had gone too far in her new Flash Bang Mysteries story, "Punching Bag".

In my comments, I explained that my parents never used profanity at home. If they reached the level of anger or frustration where other people curse, I never knew because it didn't show in their language. I heard profanity everywhere else: school, friends, books, movies. I can curse, but I generally don't because it didn't get me anywhere with my parents.

Similarly, if someone addresses me with inflammatory language, I give the language no credit and try to reach the issues behind it.

In creative writing, though, all words are tools to be used for precise effect. Click over and read Barb's post and the comments. Mine include my own look at specific expletives and what I cringe at reading, and why.

Your comments welcome here or there.

No comments: