Friday, May 31, 2019

ALWAYS BE MY MAYBE

© by Gerald So | 7:30 AM

The Asian-led Netflix Original romantic comedy Always Be My Maybe premieres today on Netflix. Sasha Tran and Marcus Kim (stars and co-writers Ali Wong and Randall Park) were neighbors growing up in San Francisco. While Sasha's parents were workaholics who left her to herself much of the time, Marcus's warm parents treated her like a daughter.

Years later, Sasha returns to San Francisco as a celebrity chef and finds Marcus working with his father's HVAC business, concerned about his father years after losing his mother. While their personalities naturally complement each other, they have trouble recognizing they would be right to grow old together.

My life as an Asian American is dramatic and comedic enough I watch little Asian American drama or comedy in my free time. The trailer for Always Be My Maybe appealed to me because I had a similar dynamic with a college friend.

I'm pleased to say the movie is neither a case of Marcus carrying a torch unnoticed by Sasha, nor one of Sasha realizing the boy next door was Mr. Right all along. The characters are deeper than that and the resolution less fairy tale, more satisfying for it.

No comments: