Saturday, June 01, 2019

The Quest for Sleep

© by Gerald So | 6:00 AM

In early April, my 21-year-old innerspring mattress finally became un-sleepable and I spent the next few late nights researching a replacement.

With only space for a twin, I ruled out several luxury, pricier options. Not swearing by innerspring or memory foam, I was intrigued by Tuft & Needle's promise of a different-feeling, proprietary adaptive foam.

Two T&N mattresses were in my price range on Amazon: the original, $280, with a 3-inch adaptive foam comfort layer and a 7-inch polyurethane support layer, and the Amazon-exclusive T&N Nod, $220, with a 2.5-inch comfort layer and a 5.5-inch support layer. I went for the greater height.

With the mattress decided, I had sheets that fit lower, 6-inch models. Luckily one sheet served for a week while I researched new ones, going with 300-thread count 100% cotton percale, about $40 from Pinzon and Boston Linen Co. respectively.

Next, not wanting the hassle of a comforter and fearing a cotton blanket would shed itself to death in the dryer, I chose a bed-length lightweight fleece, $12.99 from Utopia Bedding.

Finally, for a pillow, since I liked the T&N mattress, I bought T&N's $75 standard size pillow. Unlike the majority, shredded foam-filled pillows, the T&N pillow is a 5-inch-thick slab of adaptive foam. Other pillows whose mattresses I didn't own cost $75 or more, and I had had enough of less expensive, wrong pillows over the years.

The pillow arrived yesterday and my first night on it was good, but off-gassing was more of lingering issue with the pillow than with the mattress. With my head on the pillow, my nose was closer to the gasses released since unpacking. Support-wise the pillow held up.

I think I've made the right choices for me. My thanks to the people behind GoodBed.com, Mattress Advisor, Mattress Clarity, The Sleep Judge, Sleepopolis, The Sleep Sherpa, and The Slumber Yard.

No comments: