Tuesday, December 06, 2022

The Road to Recovery

© by Gerald So | Permanent Link

Dec. 9, 6:00 PM My brother, aunt, and I visited Mom at the Harborside. It's too early to tell how long she'll be there, but she's definitely getting necessary, better care than she would at home. That said, I still hope she gets home sooner than later.

Dec. 8, 6:00 PM During our visit this afternoon, the attending doctor signed the order discharging my mother to subacute rehab at The Harborside in Port Washington. According to Medicare nursing home comparisons, it has excellent ratings for short stays, hopefully just what Mom needs.

Dec. 8, 4:30 AM: My mother hasn't been discharged just yet. Apparently she doesn't breathe well enough without an oxygen machine to go home or to a rehab facility. I don't know how soon this will improve, but I didn't expect the talk of discharge two days ago, either.

Dec. 6, 1:00 PM: St. Francis Hospital is making arrangements for my mother's continuing care once she's discharged, which could happen any day now. Yesterday my brother and I had to quickly choose five possible subacute rehab facilities for her. If she needs rehab, she'll be sent to the one with the first available bed. Medicare will fully cover up to twenty days at the facility and partially cover up to 100 days.

There's still the possibility she does well enough in today's and tomorrow's physical therapy that she doesn't need rehab. In favor of her coming right home, my brother and I live with her and work from home. I have my hopes, but I don't want to be disappointed. Best to take what happens as it happens. Positive thoughts welcome.

No comments: